Sunday 9 October 2016

Excerpts from Johnny Cash's private Journal

From the Private journal of Johnny Cash

-Sometime in 1954-
Luther, Marshall and I have just finished the Hey Porter track for Sun Records, Sam was very pleased with the work we did, he said it was several steps ahead of our gospel songs. I agree with him to an extent, I fear I am slowly slipping further from my beginning, I hope my Mother is still pleased with how I’ve done. I have this thought of a song, there is a woman in my life I just got to stop spending time with her, I’m sure many others have been in the same spot as I am in. A girl that is always begging me to come back when I’m gone but when I’m there all she does is lie, lie, lie. If I leave I bet she’ll cry, cry, cry. That’s it I’ve got to start writing.

Sam was ecstatic its now the B-side for Hey Porter, It hits home for me and I hope that others might have a similar view of how some women are, especially down here in the south.

Copies are flying off the shelves. Tens of thousand of copies nearly 100,000 sold, they are sellin like biscuits on chilly November day.

-Sometime in late 1960’s-

Folsom prison, we are all feeling trapped by our constraints of life and due to our somewhat lower economical standing then others. As I fell further from home I feel as if I have straid from the path as many of us due, the path we were set by our family and parents we don’t seem to realize the righteousness and carrying of our parents and how they set out to benefit us to the best of their extent. We all feel the pain, the trapped jail nature of life slowly squeezing every ounce of will we have left in our souls. In many respects there might not be a path out that we can reach however we have to try, and dream for the best a pray one day we might end up as some of those rich folks in their fancy cars.

-Sometime in early 1994-

My life has been full of pain, I have pushed those who are closeted to me I have lived a life of pain and regret all the drugs and women ive had has become to much for me. I am worth nothing my legacy is a mountain of dirt for my children, Oh god what have I become. Everyone I no just goes away in the end, I am such a disappointment, Oh if ONLY I COULD START AGAIN.
I hope others can find some relation in my next song, it is about the pain and Hurt I have experience and how it has affect all of those closest to me in my life.


I fear I have little time left, but I welcome death and shall not fear leaving for the final time. The darkness is nothing new to me and that has always been the case.

3 comments:

  1. I like the various time periods you chose for this artist, as well as the contrasting feelings and emotions the artist had about his music and life in general at the time, nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you have taken a variety of different times in Johnny Cash's life where he was feeling different emotions and i liked how you stated how he felt and i liked that you said "I welcome death and shall not fear leaving for the final time," as i found it uplifting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this a lot. It's very interesting considering I didn't know who Johnny Cash was. However, you did not clearly get into the effect he had on his community. Overall though I liked the post.

    ReplyDelete